Did you want to find out how to use a USB flash drive with your Playstation 3 gaming console? Did you want to do more with your PS3? There are a few simple DIY ways to use a USB flash drive with PS3 and this article focuses on quick and easy ways you can do it!
The features of the Playstation 3 gaming system make it an amazing source of entertainment. Besides playing graphic rich games, one can have a lot of other entertainment in form of videos, music and photos on it. One of the very unique and outstanding features of PS3 is its compatibility with USB devices. There are four USB ports given on every gaming console and they allow the system to connect seamlessly with flash drives, mouse and keyboards. If you are wondering what all can you do with a USB drive then here are some easy DIY ways.
How You Can Use a USB Flash Drive with PS3
- Install USB flash drive’s driver software using your PC. One won’t be able to use the USB flash drive until the drive is working properly and has the driver software installed on it.
- Select the data from your computer that you want to transfer on the Playstation 3. Copy all such data. It might take a little longer for the large files.
- Now put your PS3 on with the use of PS3 wireless controller and wait until the main menu loads. It is always recommended to boot the system first before inserting any hardware in USB ports.
- Once the system is on insert the USB flash memory device into the USB port of Playstation 3 gaming console. Access the data by going to the main menu and selecting Video, Picture, and Audio tab. In case, you want to transfer any data from PS3 to USB memory drive, do it using PS3 storage.
- Transfer files from PS3 to computer’s hard drive by making use of USB flash drive in order to back them up and to save space on Playstation 3 hard drive.
DIY Ways of using the USB Flash Drive
- Load music, photos and movies – There are a few methods to through which you can transfer data from your PC to PS3. You can either burn a CD or use a USB thumb drive. You can also stream the content wirelessly. However for streaming wirelessly you would require some expertise. However, if you are keen to play some specific movies, pictures or music files then using a USB drive is a great option. PS3 usually supports a wide variety of file types which includes DivX, AVI, MP4, and WMV.
- Transfer saved games – If you want to continue a game from where your friend has left or want to play your game on friend’s PS3 then it can be done using a USB flash drive. Just plug in your drive and from the Games Menu go to game save. Once you have selected the game then click on Options and copy. Now, once you will insert the USB drive in another PS3 the game would be saved on Saved Data Utility.
- Updating system – You can also reduce the time consumed in system updates by bringing into use the convenient USB flash drive. What you need to do is to just carry your USB device to work or any location with internet access and download the update on it. Once you are at home then plug the USB drive in your Playstation 3 and install the update. Now you go on PS3 update page and download the latest update and place it in the folder on USB drive with label UPDATE. Next, plug the drive into the PS3 and go to Settings. Click on System update and install from the USB flash drive.
It is quick and simple to setup your USB flash drive to work with your Playstation 3 and once setup you are able to use it to perform many useful functions. These simple and quick DIY ways to use a USB flash drive with PS3 will provide convenience to owners looking for neat ways to get more out of their PS3 gaming consoles.